Despite remarkable resilience, Australian indie cinemas are desperate for the government to solve a problem caused by the collapse of the international supply chain.
The exhibition business in Australia is doing remarkably well. The major chains have the resources, the bank credibility and the co-dependent shopping centre landlords to survive. The position for the indie cinemas is much worse. But even here, the peak body Independent Cinemas Australia has not heard of a single cinema destroyed by COVID-19.
This content is only available to members of screenhub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to screenhub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the screen sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian screen community today