It's possible to view the best of this pared-down program and not see a single film by a man. Critic Adrian Martin enjoyed a broad sample.
The pre-lockdown film festival format is slowly beginning to return to the world – Bologna’s famous annual Il Cinema Ritrovato event has, for instance, rescheduled itself to August 25-31 – but we are all poised to see whether some changes will be longer lasting in their effects. The odd media spectacle of Cannes 'blessing' the list of films it would have premiered is the first sure sign that likely major items on the festival circuit (from Wes Anderson’s The French Dispatch to Leos Carax’s musical Annette) are, so far, holding themselves back from the public and lying in wait for the best post-Cannes opportunity in the cinema calendar.
This content is only available to members of screenhub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to screenhub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the screen sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian screen community today