Ruth works in a neuroscience research lab as well as being an extremely devoted Christian who is married with two children. She is also a woman with a long-buried past. Almost two decades before, Ruth was forced to build a new life after her former lover Andi was jailed for a crime that she never believed he committed. Now he has been released and has entered back into her life – or has he? From the strangely uncertain circumstances of Andi’s return, a host of haunting unanswered questions emerge, putting Ruth’s faith, and all the relationships that she has built, to the ultimate test.
Competing in San Sebastián and Toronto Film Festivals, Swiss director Simon Jaquemet’s psychological thriller boldly approaches spiritualism with a scepticism that both challenges and embraces people’s capacity to believe. Paired with an intensely electric soundtrack, it is a striking depiction of a woman battling to reconcile everything she once knew, with all that she now believes.
- NOMINATED: Best Film, San Sebastián International Film Festival 2018
- NOMINATED: Platform Prize,Toronto International Film Festival 2018
- NOMINATED: Best Film, Best Actress, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Swiss Film Prize 2019
“The wildest film seen at Toronto, Swiss director Simon Jaquemet's dreamy and bewildering film is purposely enigmatic and consistently compelling.” - Film-Forward.com
- Director Simon Jaquemet
- Cast Judith Hofmann, Naomi Scheiber
- Duration 114 min
- Rating 18+
- Language Swiss German with English subtitles
- Genre Drama, Thriller