With sensibility, affection, and humour, multi award-winning director Andreas Dresen (Cloud 9, 2008) presents this moving and endearing portrait of the beloved East German folk singer and song writer Gerhard Gundermann.
Politically active and passionate, digger driver Gundermann’s music career took off in 1986, capturing the hearts of the people with his clever, often melancholy lyrics imbued with social commentary. A poet, a clown, a loyal husband and an idealist, Gundermann lived a multifaceted life as a rebel- and a spy who got spied on.
Prolific stage and screen actor Alexander Scheer (Eight Miles High, 2007) is truly astonishing to watch as the intractable, brave and contradictory talent, not least because he sings every song himself. With attentive production design evocative of the era, this inspiring biopic is both a music film and a love story that courageously encompasses guilt and entanglement, as well as suppression and, above all, defiance.
- NOMINATED: Outstanding Feature Film, Best Direction, Best Performance, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup, German Film Awards 2019
- WINNER: Best Actor – Bavarian Film Award 2019
- WINNER: FIPRESCI Prize – Tromsø International Film Festival 2019
“One of the richest, most sophisticated and greatest films about the GDR” – Spiegel.de
- Director Andreas Dresen
- Cast Alexander Scheer, Anna Unterberger
- Duration 128 min
- Rating 18+
- Language German with English subtitles
- Genre Biography, Drama