Comedy Baby Done would do ace business in a normal year, but is beaten handily by a grim Polish film about a fake priest which fanatics claim is blasphemous.
The Australian box office is now beyond dismal. Opening the charts is like stepping into a time accident in which popular films from decades back reappear to get almost no attention. Spirited Away, for instance, has taken $25k off five screens, but the figure will include other specialist screenings; this last weekend drew $5.1k. That is a squeak rather than a roar, but probably a cool moment for true believers since the film is a 17 year old classic.
This content is only available to members of screenhub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to screenhub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the screen sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian screen community today