The weekend after the Oscars, Nomadland is shaping up to be the worst performing Best Picture winner in decades. You get two guesses as to why.
After the Oscar triumph, Nomadland gained 180% over the weekend in Australia to make $286,000, for a total box office taking of just under $4 million over nine weeks. This result is particularly notable compared to its comparatively paltry takings abroad; it seems that Nomadland in the US has been sticking at a box office return of around AU$130,000 per week, with nary a tremble after the Oscars, though there could be more action in this coming week.
This content is only available to members of screenhub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to screenhub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the screen sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian screen community today