Channeling your inner Renaissance Man to pursue a portfolio career could be the answer to being gainfully employed in the arts while doing everything you love.
A portfolio worker: the new Renaissance Man. Image: Hipster In Stone by photographer Léo Caillard
‘Men can do all things if they will,’ said polymath Leon Battista Alberti, perhaps the textbook example of the Rennaissance Man. But in the half-millenium since Alberti, the growing body of scientific and technological knowledge has seen a commensurate trend towards specialisation. Wearing multiple hats is often seen as a fashion that belongs in the Renaissance.
But in the 21st Century, the fluid job market and fast pace of change mean there is a resurgence in the polymath as the portfolio worker becomes the 'career du jour'. Juggling multiple job titles such as graphic designer/producer/musician/festival assistant is proving to be a successful way to remain gainfully employed while doing things you actually enjoy.
This content is only available to members of screenhub
Join Now for instant access!
A subscription to screenhub will enable you to:
- Access the most comprehensive jobs board for the screen sector, with hundreds of positions posted weekly
- Keep up to date with the latest industry news
- Access thousands of members-only features, articles and guides
- Be in the know with upcoming events and exhibitions added daily
- Learn how and where to get grants, with the most extensive grant finder
... and much, much more.
Join Now and join the Australian screen community today