Development and Investment Manager, First Nations
Screen Australia is the Commonwealth Government’s primary agency for supporting Australian screen projects, practitioners and businesses. We support projects of scale and ambition, distinct local stories told with strong creative voices and risk-taking content for all platforms.
The First Nation Department at Screen Australia works to support bold First Nations screen stories, authored by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander screen practitioners. The department has proudly funded award winning content such as Total Control, Mystery Road and Redfern Now (ABC), and feature films such as Sweet Country, Goldstone and Samson and Delilah, as well as numerous documentaries, factual series, short film and most recently online series.
About the role:
We now have an excellent opportunity for a talented professional to join our First Nations Department as a Development and Investment Manager. Working collaboratively with the other members of the team, you will leverage your knowledge of First Nations screen culture and your creative experience producing, writing and/or script editing to evaluate project proposals, assess funding applications and manage a slate of funded projects across the Department’s funding programs and initiatives. You will liaise with industry practitioners to provide information on funding opportunities, advice on applications; and work closely with funded applicants to facilitate successful completion and delivery of projects.
This opportunity is offered as an initial 2 year contract and will be based in our Sydney office.
- Tertiary qualifications in Film studies/Arts/Media or related work experience.
- Previous experience in a similar role or recent credited experience at a creative level in any of the following: feature film, short film, documentary, animation and/or interactive media in roles such as, producer, production manager, line producer, writer or script editor.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of Indigenous society and culture and an understanding of the issues affecting First Nations people in contemporary Australian society, including the diversity of circumstances in First Nations communities.
- Knowledge of production budgets, finance plans and the commissioning processes.
- Good creative judgment with a proven ability to evaluate ideas, scripts and other proposals and ability to assess the production and budget implications of scripts and project proposals.
In return you will receive a competitive salary, work in our modern offices in Ultimo; and become part of a friendly, passionate and high performing team environment.
Please note that this is an Indigenous identified position. Applicants must be of Indigenous Australian descent, identify as an Indigenous Australian and be accepted as such by the community with which he/she is associated.
The filling of this employment opportunity is intended to constitute a special measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act.
How to apply
For further information on this position and to apply, please visit the Screen Australia website: www.screenaustralia.gov.au/jobs
Applications must be received by 22 October 2021.