For the promotion of Australian content and talent at the key international festivals and awards events, enabling the enhancement of international marketing strategies in conjunction with other partners.
Limited funding to acknowledge the importance of global strategies for new titles, restricted to their world or international premiere and planned related sales and marketing activities at significant industry events.
Screen Australia funding may contribute towards the marketing budget for:
- Publicist fees
- Attendance by the director or producer (supported by a clear plan to be implemented at the event)
- Attendance by high profile Australian cast on the red carpet at gala festival screenings, e.g. films in competition or significant programs (an associated publicity schedule will be required)
- Mandatory materials required by the festivals
- Attendance by the writer may be considered where there are clear benefits.
Whilst there are hundreds of international film festivals, this program can only support titles invited to the most prestigious industry acknowledged events.
Screen Australia will contribute to the promotional budget for eligible events generally up to $20,000 for feature films and television series and $10,000 for short films.
The level of funding will be determined by a film’s individual international marketing strategy as evidenced by a comprehensive plan and budget, produced by either the sales agent or producer. Festival screenings must be the title’s world or international premiere.
Note: current recipients of funding through Screen Australia’s Enterprise programs may be precluded from requesting funds to support travel. Contact Screen Australia’s Manager, Enterprise & Industry, if this applies to you.
Projects may receive only one grant through this program strand, unless the second relates to nomination for an eligible award i.e. Academy Awards®, British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards®, Emmy Awards®.
All applicants and projects must meet the general criteria in our Terms of Trade. In addition:
- Berlin International Film Festival
- Busan International Film Festival
- Cannes International Film Festival
- Clermont-Ferrand Short Film Festival
- Critics Week, Cannes
- Directors’ Fortnight, Cannes
- Hot Docs International Documentary Festival, Toronto
- IDFA, Amsterdam
- Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival
- Sundance Film Festival
- SxSW, Austin
- Toronto International Film Festival
- Venice International Film Festival.
- Academy Awards®
- British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards
- Emmy Awards®
Eligible events have been chosen to ensure that Screen Australia’s support is as strategic as possible and the best use is made of available funds.
On exceptional occasions, at the discretion of Screen Australia, an event not on the current list may be considered if it has grown in significance and/or offers unique commercial opportunities.
Applications can be made at any time through the Application Portal with the following items: