The FAR SOUTH FILM FESTIVAL showcases stories told by regional filmmakers from Australia.
Our 2020 festival is ONLINE on Sunday 23 August 2020.
The festival is run by Far South Film Inc, an association of professional and emerging filmmakers and digital creatives living in South East regional NSW.
- Submissions open 1 July 2020
- Earlybird deadline closes midnight AEST 17 July 2020
- Final deadline closes midnight AEST 31 July 2020
- No late submissions will be accepted.
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your successful submission. If you submitted a film but have not received a confirmation email from the Far South Film Festival, please contact us.
- You will be notified by 9 August 2020 if your film has been shortlisted for screening at the Festival.
- The last date you can withdraw your film from the festival is 9 August 2020.
- Submissions are open to films by regional filmmakers in Australia.
- At least two of the key creatives (Writer/Director/Producer/Filmmaker) must reside in a regional area of Australia as defined here.
- If the film is a solo work, that person must reside in a regional area of Australia as defined here.
- You may be asked to provide documentary evidence of regional residence by email once your submission has been received. We will NOT ask for photo ID – you will be advised in the email of the various documents you can submit to show your eligibility.
- All films submitted to the Far South Film Festival must have been completed within the 2 year period before the festival (ie on or after 23 August 2018).
- Films must not already be publicly accessible online – see Film Publication.
- Final award categories will be determined based on the number, genre and quality of entries received. Judges reserve the right not to make an award for a given category.
- Awards are proposed for Best Film (various categories), Best Performance (various categories), Best Screenplay, Best Director, Best Use of a Regional Setting, Best Technical Achievement (various categories), Diversity.
- Prizes may be in the form of cash, filmmaking equipment or in-kind opportunities such as workshops accessible from regional areas.
- The major prize will be $1000. Other prizes from our sponsors will be announced during the lead up to the festival date.
- Films will be screened online on demand to ticketholders on the festival day 23 August 2020 until midnight on 24 August 2020, only within Australia (geoblocking applies).
- Q&As will be streamed live and/or on demand on the festival day and after the festival on demand via this website.
- Awards will be announced live on the festival day and the results will be posted on this website and our Facebook page.
- Should the organisers decide to tour the festival, your film may also be exhibited or screened in other regional areas of Australia at a later date.
There are two film length categories, inclusive of titles and credits:
- Under 10 minutes
- 10 to 30 Minutes
- All films submitted must be no longer than 30 minutes, inclusive of titles and credits.
- There is no minimum length required.
- If you submit an episodic work (eg web series) the total length of all episodes must be under 30 minutes and it must be submitted as one file.
We hope to expand to longer-form films in 2021.
Find out more: https://farsouthfilmfestival.com/submit/